Tuesday 22 March 2011

The Touch

I finished an amazing book today. It was ‘The Touch’ by Colleen McCulloch. I have read some others by her;  ‘The Thornbirds’ (probably her most well known), ‘Angel Puss’ (one of my favourite books) and ‘On, Off’ (a creepy psychological thriller). I am very happy to say that ‘The Touch’ completely lived up to my expectations. Her style of writing is so engaging. I spent most of Friday night finishing it because I couldn’t put it down. 

It is the story of Elizabeth, sent from Scotland to live in Australia circa. 1867. She is sent to marry a man she has never met, Alexander Kinross. Alexander has made his fortune in gold and built an entire town around himself, it also being called Kinross. The story follows the journey of Elizabeth,  Alexander, Ruby (Alexander’s mistress) and their children through to 1890.

It is a truly wonderful story. Colleen McCulloch is one of the best writers around and if you liked her previous stuff, you would love this. This book was another Bookfest find and another one that will be handed on for AJ to read (although I’m not sure she has read the others I’ve passed on yet).


1 comment:

AJ said...

Send it this way! You should see the pile I am collecting!

Followers